Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Learning 2.0 and the Future

I remember when we first got Netscape Navigator at our house. It was supposed to do everything but the dishes.

We had been online for awhile, and we were chosen to beta test Netscape for our online provider, the late, great Prostar. We had to upgrade our modem to a BLISTERING speed of...well, I can't remember, possibly 256 K from the previously lightning-fast 128K.

It was just shocking to be be online and zip over to a computer in HAWAII! Look! Pictures posted online from the University of Hawaii!

It was cumbersome, and amazing, and it became clear to me very quickly I could find a lot of information from my own computer at home in moments - the same information that had previously taken a blue slip and Interlibrary Loan in the recent past. Even better, when before I was able to find one measly pamphlet on, say, American Revolutionary War Nightwear, now I had access to far more information. Information including pictures, and descriptions from collectors of vintage clothing and essays and commentary from historians who were also researching the same topic. I was delighted.

It was some time later the library got true "web" access.

I think libraries, all of them, were a little slow to realize the Internet as a truly valuable resource. I think KCLS was actually one of the first. I'm glad to see this changing, and most library systems are embracing new, upcoming technologies.

One of the things I find most interesting from reading the featured articles were the ideas about the future of libraries, and library services. I find the immediate upcoming plan for a method and search engine for everyone to have the ability to search WorldCat very cool. I also like the idea of expanded delivery options for libraries.

We already use expanded delivery options in a primitive form, looking up sources for patrons to buy those out of print or hard to get books and textbooks online when they need them now rather than the later we can provide.

If one of the new improved bibliographic searches ever turned up the title of my lost book, I would buy it in a nano-second.

The fast, even daily, database updates make them truly more useful than many printed resources, however handy. While I can agree with the need for some stockpile of printed resources, I find online information is nearly always more up to date and accurate. Especially when using a verified, reliable source. Except when the electricity is out.

I am always curious about what the next wave of personal computing will be, and how libraries will respond. Me, I'm looking forward to The Net 3.0, or whatever comes next. Because if this incarnation of information access has made our lives easier, maybe the next one really will do our dishes, too.

No comments:

Nemo on the Sofa

Nemo on the Sofa
And you can't make me....

Weather Search Engine

Home away From Home

Home away From Home

About Me

If you want to know more about me, or see my other blogs, click on my profile, or click the links to VG Random; my main blog.